Thursday, March 24, 2011

#9- Proposal topic and sources


I have chosen to write my proposal about the economic downturn of the city of Reading, Pennsylvania. Many cities in our country have been become economically unstable in the recent years but Reading is closest to my heart because I grew up there.  I think that the economy has become the way it has in Reading for two reasons. The first is that the city no longer is appealing to visitors. The second is because there are so many poor and unemployed people in the city. I am going to propose a plan that takes a few steps and a few years to fulfill but will hopefully be a way of helping the economy in Reading.



What do you See in Reading’s Future?

            This article interviewed many people that reside around or in the city of Reading. They were asked to state how they see Reading in the future. Most people said things that go right along with my topic. Malcia Cruz believes that the future of Reading depends on the finances and that until that is back in check Reading has no future. A Reading student stated that, "I think everyone's going to flee Reading. Everyone's gonna leave it because there is a lot of violence and they're charging mad money to live here and a lot of people are losing their jobs." All in all, this article does a great job of showing how the public views the city and is great for me to use for quotes in my proposal.


 Reading Will Be a Ghost Town
           
            This article was writing by one of the editors of the Reading Eagle. He mentions that people believe that if something isn’t turned around in Reading soon that everyone will leave. He notes how turn around initiatives were announced, but no one ever went through with anything more than an idea to clean up the city. He says clearly that Reading is a city of dreams and it is just producing nightmares. I think this article is a great source for my paper as well because it takes into account my idea that businesses are failing and therefore, people do not want to come to the city at all.

State of the City Report

            Finally, this article is written/spoken by the Mayor of Reading himself. It is his State of the city Report where he addresses issues and what is going on to fix them. He makes note of the financial stresses that have been burdening Reading for the past 10 plus years. He also tells about what is going on to help the financial situation. I can use this article because it is directly from my audience’s mouth. I will not use it to place blame but I can use his own ideas to support my own.


America at the Crossroads

I also found this video. The video discusses everything from the run down of Reading, to the financial problems because of crashing businesses. This video is a perfect match to my topic. Although it is not an article it will be helpful in my paper because NBC covers exactly what they think has gone wrong in reading. I can use this video from a reliable television source to support my problem and what I think should be done to fix it.

1 comment: