Thursday, March 31, 2011

#10- My Writing Style


Style is a big part of my writing, and I think that it influences my grades on papers in this class very much. My writing style is very formal. I have always been good at getting my point across to my elders and people that are higher ranked than me. For example, I always did well in getting into clubs or getting jobs because I could communicate formally what I wanted to say and make it look appealing to my superiors. When we were asked in class to write a letter to our state representative, I felt relieved and even excited to write it because it was a formal letter. Another example of my formal style is not a writing one. I was asked to speak at my graduation last year. I did well at this because my formal style helps me to get my point across and be understood by my fellow students, teachers, advisers, and our parents. My voice is very clear. I am not a creative writer and so letters or any formal kind of communication is best for me. I get to the point and express what I want in a clear and concise manor. On the other hand, as I previously mentioned, I am not very strong in my creative writing style. It makes me feel uncomfortable to have to use creativity to interest an audience on a topic or to tell stories to get my point across. For the previous three papers I have written, I thought long and hard about writing letters. After all, a letter would be the best way to use my style to do well on the assignment. I decided against that because I didn’t believe a letter would be appropriate for my topics. It was hard for me at the beginning to write creatively and not be as formal as I usually am, but my grades have been improving. Finally, when we began our lectures about Proposal papers, I knew that I would be able to use my style well and write a letter. I believe that my style of writing will be glorified in this Proposal paper that is due on Monday. I think this assignment will show my confidence in the formal style and therefore help me to write a better paper.

1 comment: