Tuesday, February 22, 2011

#6- Evaluation of YouTube video



The video I chose to evaluate was the music video The Creep feat. Nikki Minaj. I would categorize it as a spoof on rap music. The criteria for evaluating this music video would be usefulness of style, ability to draw viewer’s attention, and comedy appeal.

            The Creep, a music video featuring Nicki Minaj, created a perfect YouTube clip for viewers. At times when one is watching youtube clips that are supposed to be funny or entertaining the video takes things too far or does not even come across as funny. This video did not do that and was one of the best for many reasons. It had a good style, was great at drawing the viewer’s attention, and was, of course, comical. While this is all a matter of opinion and some may not believe that creepin’ or comedy music videos are funny, I believe that this video does a lot for even those who do not think it is funny.
First, the use of music video as a theme was perfect. It was the ideal style for this type of comedy. It seemed to take part from I’m on a boat and even some Lil Wayne songs and created a comedy music video. Using a music video was the best choice because there are many videos out there about creepers and people creepin’. Taking that to the next level and making a music video all about creepers both showed creativity and used a fresh way to make an old thing such as creepin’ funny. Going along with the idea that a music video was effective, I did not think the video called Hamlet was as effective. I did laugh at it, but I think that the way it was presented was not the way it should have been. So I personally did not get the full effect of its comedy. All in all, in my opinion, it is important to pick the correct style and The Creep did, while Hamlet did not.
This music video drew my attention for a couple of reasons. Mainly, I like Nicki Minaj. I was drawn to this video because it brought an actual rapper into it. When I noticed that it said featuring Nicki Minaj, I immediately thought that this would be something I would like. I think this is true for many people my age. We think things are funny if someone we know or “trust”            as a good entertainer is presented. Another reason why “the Creep” will draw a viewer’s attention is because it is set up like music videos one has seen before. It looks legitimate and therefore draws the viewer’s attention. I, for example, thought about I’m on a Boat when I first saw the video.  I wanted to watch it because it reminded me of that, and I thought it would be entertaining like I knew I’m on a Boat was.
The Creep also was very effective comedy. It was meant to be a comedy so it is important that it follows that role. The words and the video entertain the audience with laughs. It tells funny stories as it goes along and that also creates good comedy. For those who do not believe it was hysterical, I can completely understand you’re view. Comedy is different for all people. Although this may not make others laugh as it makes me laugh, I think we can all agree that it has the ability to entertain, even if it doesn’t make you “roll on the floor laughing.”
The creep music video presents a perfect combination of comedy, effectiveness, and style. It was well made and the viewer can tell that it wasn’t just another comedy that a child posts on YouTube. Thought went into this sketch and I believe that because of that it was very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment