Thursday, April 7, 2011

#11- My research so far


I have decided to investigate and critically review the effect of the media on teenagers. I want to focus mainly on the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area because that is where I am from. My audience will be the parents of teens in Pennsylvania but could be on a larger scale to the entire United States.

Focusing more on my research so far I began with searching in google scholar the effects of tabloids on teens. I found this article: http://ridge.schoolwires.com/1584201127144644770/lib/1584201127144644770/2010_senior_papers/StephensonBrandy-paper.pdf.
 After reading over it I realized that it may not be the most reliable source but it does have an abundance of reliable sources cited in it that may be helpful in my research.
            Next, I found, from those sources, an article about how celebrities influence the population. (http://www.aug.edu/~mduignan/Magazine/Influence_Of_Celebrities.htm). I think that this will be helpful because it talks about celebrities which have a major affect on teens in American because of their popularity and how much they are admired by the general public.
            Another source that I found in the initial article was an article about eating disorders in men. I think that is important to bring up and has a lot to do with my topic of teens. After all, teens are more than half male and they are equally affected by the media and our culture. (http://www.menstuff.org/issues/byissue/eatingdisorders.html).
            As I searched the sources in the initial article I was sure to find sites that were .org or .gov because they are more reliable and I wanted to begin my research with the most reliable sources before looking at any opinion pieces.
            I then went back to Google scholar and tried searching the same topic of media effects on teenagers for another article. This time I found a book. The book is called Tabloid Culture. It talks about how tabloid came to affect the United State since pre-Reagan. I thought it was interesting to use some history to see how media is affecting teenagers and when it started (http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=hsJsUZshs3cC&oi=fnd&pg=PP11&dq=teen+effects+of+tabloids&ots=wb3NPdycTR&sig=lHc1PWZ5GmVKg4SUSdztPa-ODl8#v=onepage&q&f=false).
            Another article that I found on Google scholar was an article about how the media influences sexuality. I think that this should be another important part of my argument because teen sex is a major concern in society in recent years and this topic will probably interest a lot of their parents (http://www.jstor.org/stable/3813422?seq=1).
            I think that so far what I read gave me a pretty strong opinion that United State media and tabloids are affecting children/teenagers in the wrong way. I want to find more sources that back up why media should be encouraging kids to be healthy and fit not skinny and tan. I have decided to write my article on the negative affects of Media in the United States today.

1 comment: