Monday, January 17, 2011

#2- telling a story

My last speech that I made in high school was a farewell address. My class was given very vague instructions. At first I was nervous about the speech because I had never done a speech that was about me. As I thought about the speech more, I came to the conclusion that this speech would be easier and more fun that any speech I had done before because it was the story of my life. We were told to write a speech to say goodbye, but to also tell the story of our school careers. I decided to tell a little bit about the stages of my life. I had the typical awkward stage, middle school stage, and then high school. I wanted to tell different stories to create the bigger story. I wanted to evoke emotion from my classmates through these stories. To do that I used a PowerPoint of pictures throughout my life and the song; I will remember you by Sarah McLaughlin to evoke that emotion. I thought that adding extra factors other than just talking would help my story telling even more. After it was over, my speech was a great success. I made my class laugh with the story of my awkward years and my rather large, puffy hair. My best friends and sister were moved to tears when I talked about how important they were and how that would never change. I wanted my speech to be an accurate sum up of my time in school by telling the stories that meant so much to me to my classmates. I used anecdote and satire to make a point and I believe that it worked because my class was moved by the speech. I think overall, it was necessary to tell the story of my life in this situation and the speech would not have been the same without it.

1 comment: